Managing Obesity Risk: The Weight Epidemic Can’t Wait
PBGH and the Integrated Benefits Institute hosted a webinar series on obesity and weight management.
Presentations addressed the science of obesity and developing a whole person health approach that integrates medical, behavioral and psychosocial aspects of weight management. This series brought together academic, purchaser, patient, health plan and provider perspectives.
Why now: Obesity is a key risk factor not only for diabetes and cardiac disease, and the urgency of a population-based approach has increased due to greater risk for COVID complications. Learn about important implications for benefit design and prescription drug formulary management.
Wednesday, May 25, 2022, 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. PT
What Purchasers Need to Know
- Understanding the science of obesity
- Myths and facts about obesity
- Quantifying the impact of obesity on employee health and our health care system
- Creating a benefit design to address obesity care
- Andrew Brown, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Applied Health Sciences, Indiana University School of Public Health-Bloomington
- Jenny Goins, Kentuckiana Health Collaborative, formerly Kentucky State Employers
- Understanding the Science of Obesity – Andrew Brown, Ph.D.
- Impact of Obesity on Employer Health Plans – Jenny Goins
Wednesday, June 1, 2022, 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. PT
Creating an Inclusive and Comprehensive Benefit Offering
- A patient perspective on benefits access and benefits coverage language
- Designing a patient-centered program
- Success factors in member engagement and outcomes
- Ava Zebrick, MSHCM, Patient Experience Supervisor, Oschner Medical Center
- Bruce Sherman, M.D,, FCCP, FACOEM, Medical Director, North Carolina Business Group on Health
- Rachel Miegel, Well-being Program Strategist, CSAA Insurance Group
- Support for Obesity Patients – Ava Zebrick, MSHCM
- Managing Obesity Risk: The Weight Epidemic Can’t Wait – Bruce Sherman, M.D,, FCCP, FACOEM
- Weight Management Solutions – Rachel Miegel
Wednesday, June 8, 2022, 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. PT
Addressing Obesity as Part of a Whole-Person Health Strategy
- Engaging members to improve total health
- Weight management support as part of a well-being strategy
- Addressing health equity and social determinants
- Providing a comprehensive strategy to support members
- Rami Bailony, M.D., Co-Founder & CEO, Enara Health
- Tammy Watts, Clinical Services Program Manager, Pacific Gas & Electric Company
- Anuruddh Kumar Misra, M.D., FACP, CAQSM, QME, Premise Health/Pacific Gas & Electric Company
- Jason Parrot, Senior Vice President, Enterprise Growth and Partnerships, Vida Health
- Tara Sherman, Well-being Strategy Leader, The Boeing Company
- Obesity Care: Lesson Learned from HPSM-Enara Pilot – Rami Bailony, M.D.
- CDC Obesity Information
- Obesity Action Coalition Consumer Resources
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality on Screening for and Management of Obesity, Including During Pregnancy
- Harvard School of Public Health: Healthcare Obesity Prevention Recommendations
- Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute
- Evaluating Workplace Health Programs
Articles by speakers:
Andrew Brown, Ph.D.
- Casazza K, Fontaine KR, Astrup A, et al. Myths, Presumptions, and Facts about Obesity N Engl J Med 2013; 368:446-454. Accessed at: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMsa1208051
- Vorland CJ, Brown AW, Dawson JA, et al. Errors in the implementation, analysis, and reporting of randomization within obesity and nutrition research: a guide to their avoidance, International Journal of Obesity (2021) 45:2335–2346; https://doi.org/10.1038/s41366-021-00909-z
- Kennedy BM, Davison G, Fowler LA, et al. Perceptions of a Pragmatic Family-Centered Approach to Childhood Obesity Treatment. Ochsner Journal 21:30–40, 2021. Accessed at: http://www.ochsnerjournal.org/content/ochjnl/21/1/30.full.pdf
This educational program was developed with a grant from Novo Nordisk and in-kind support from the Integrated Benefits Institute and Purchaser Business Group on Health.
DatesBegins: June 8, 2022
Ends: June 8, 2022