CalHIVE Behavioral Health Integration (2023-2026)
The CalHIVE Behavioral Health Integration Improvement Collaborative is a three-year program operated by PBGH’s California Quality Collaborative (CQC) that begins July 2023 and will focus on supporting California-based primary care practices as they integrate behavioral health services. CalHIVE Behavioral Health Integration will help organizations launch or expand screening, treatment and referrals for patients with mild-to-moderate depression, substance use disorders and other conditions.
The program will improve integration of behavioral health services within primary care for Californians by:
- Defining and implementing an integration pathway for each participant aligned with their organizational objectives.
- Increasing access to behavioral health services within the primary care setting to support depression and substance use management.
- Improving behavioral health and chronic disease outcomes across key indicators (depression screening, response and remission, diabetes, etc.).
Nine provider organizations located across California that provide care in aggregate for 500,000 patients are participating in the CalHIVE Behavioral Health Integration program:
- Altais Family Care Specialists Medical Group, a Los-Angeles based medical group
- Chinese Hospital, a hospital system with locations in San Francisco and Daly City
- Community Memorial Healthcare, a hospital system in Ventura County
- Perlman Clinic, a multi-site primary and specialty care clinic in San Diego
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center, a medical center located in Pomona
- Riverside Family Physicians, a primary care practice in Riverside
- San Francisco Health Network, a multi-site Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) and part of San Francisco’s public health system
- Scripps Health, a San Diego-based health system (hospitals and ambulatory care)
- Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Centers, a multi-specialty medical group located in San Diego
Program participants will receive:
- Funding of up to $100,000 over the duration of the program.
- Direct support to implement our Behavioral Health Integration Curriculum designed for California-based organizations.
- Learning events and improvement advising to design and implement efficient, sustainable and effective behavioral health services.
- The opportunity to engage with peers from other provider organizations and systems in an improvement collaborative model to share learnings and ideas.
Technical Assistance Partner
CQC is partnering with the Collaborative Family Healthcare Association (CFHA) for the CalHIVE Behavioral Health Integration technical assistance program. CFHA is a multi-guild member association with the goal to make integrated care the standard of care across the United States and beyond.
CQC’s Behavioral Health Integration Initiative is possible thanks to the generous support of the Centene Corporation and is a part of CQC’s CalHIVE Improvement Collaboratives offered to provider organizations in California.
Associate Director, Practice Transformation
CalHIVE Behavioral Health Integration Improvement Collaborative Prospectus
Past Events and Training
Behavioral Health Integration Fundamentals: Concepts & Models
Integrating behavioral health into primary care is essential for providers looking to deliver patient-centered, high-quality and whole-person care. Yet many health care organizations struggle with knowing where to begin.
CalHIVE Behavioral Health Integration Improvement Collaborative: Informational Webinar
The CalHIVE Behavioral Health Integration Improvement Collaborative is a three-year program launched in July 2023 and will focus on supporting California based provider organizations as they integrate behavioral health services into their primary care practices.